Paradox Interactive and Nitro Games have announced a new strategy title called "Commander: Conquest of the Americas", coupled with not one, but two videos. The game itself takes place in the historical Americas in the 18th century, when the European superpowers fought for control of the New World. After selecting one of six nations to join, the player is given command of a colonization fleet with the purpose of taking control of as much land and riches from the lands beyond as possible. To spice up the game and add replay value, each nation has it's unique advantages and disadvantages.
According to Lead Designer Kim Soares, "[the] goal of Commander is to create as powerful presence as you can in the New World before the American revolution starts".
The game is slated for a Q3 2010 release for the PC.
From the press release:
The upcoming title, which combines the best elements of trading and strategy games, will enable players to take control of a wide variety of European nations in efforts to conquer the New World.
During the Paradox Interactive Convention, Kim Soares, Lead Designer, at Nitro Games sat down to demonstrate the latest action and story behind Commander: Conquest of the Americas.
- Choose from 6 different European factions
- Manage your colonies’ resources, production, military, and more
- Game world spanning the Caribbean to Hudson Bay
- Naval battles with as many as 30 ships in varied environments and 2 different control modes
And here are the links to those videos:
- Commander: Conquest of the Americas Teaser Trailer
- Commander: Conquest of the Americas Interview with Kim Soares
Note: If you have any industry news you want to share with us, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll take care of it. Cheers!